“I’m scared!”, “I have never done an HIV test before!”….. these are words that are uttered ever so often by individuals who may not know the importance of doing an HIV test. Here are the TOP 5 reasons for getting tested.
1. If you test HIV negative, you can take steps to stay negative: Getting tested for HIV is the only way to conﬁrm if you are HIV negative. Knowing that you are HIV negative means that you are not infected and can take steps to stay that way! It is important to learn about ways to reduce or eliminate your risk of HIV infection in the future.
2. Knowing your status helps you make smarter decisions: Knowing that you are HIV negative, you can take steps to protect yourself and minimize risks so you stay negative. If you learn that you are HIV positive you can seek treatment, stay healthy longer or improve your current health. You can also take steps to prevent passing it on to someone else.
3. Early treatment means a longer, healthier life: If you are HIV positive, getting connected to care early can save your life. People with HIV and AIDS are living longer, healthier lives today, thanks to new and e!ective treatments. Getting tested and connected to a doctor or healthcare professional can help you get the treatment you need.
4. Knowing your status protects you and your partner: By educating yourself against HIV and AIDS and taking an HIV test, you are doing the right thing to protect your health and the ones you love. If you are HIV positive, practicing safer sex techniques can save your partner’s life. If you are negative, practicing safe sex techniques will help you both stay negative.
5. You’ll be doing your part in the global ﬁght against HIV: Currently, more than 33 million people around the world are estimated to have HIV/AIDS, and many of them do not know they are infected, because they have never been tested. By getting tested for HIV and learning your status, you are doing your part in the global ﬁght against HIV. GET TESTED TODAY!!